Ask The Doctor > Pending > Testosterone treatment in pre-menopausal woman

Testosterone treatment in pre-menopausal woman

Patient: Hello! I am a 40 year old woman who recently had a blood test that indicated I have almost no testosterone. I’m certainly having all of the symptoms of such, but I am hesitant to start a hormone treatment at such a young age. My OB has said she can prescribe the shots, but given my age and a family history of breast cancer I was wondering if it would be better to see an endocrinologist, and if such treatment for pre-menopausal women is safe? There seems to be little research on the subject and I just want to receive the right treatment. Thank you!

Symptoms: Exhaustion, low libido (no libido), weight retention, minor depression, physical sensitivity to stress (headaches, exhaustion, body aches)

Doctor: