The effects of Bulimia on the oesophagus

Patient

Q: I have been struggling with bulimia for over nine years. Is there anything I can take to start to repair the damage i have done to my esophagus. thank you

Doctor

A:   There are several effects bulimia may have on your stomach and oesophagus including acid reflux, oesophagitis or inflammation of the oesophagus, ulceration and delayed gastric emptying. Prolonged inflammation and ulceration over time may lead to scarring. You have made a huge step forward in identifying that a problem exists. The oesophagitis should improve once you stop vomiting or purging after food ingestion. It is important to seek advice and help from your family doctor to continue to fight this illness. He may refer you to a psychiatrist for cognitive behavioural therapy and a gastroenterologist for follow-up, if symptoms do not improve.