The last time that I had sexual intercourse was March

Patient

Q: The last time that I had sexual intercourse was March 5thand we used a condom. I had a extremely light period on the 12th but it only lasted a day when mine usually are heavy and last a week. I just started taking spironolactone so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it but could I be pregnant?

Doctor

Thanks for the query,

the bleed on 12th march may be a breakthrough bleed or an implantation bleed. this can be distinguished based on serum beta hCG test to rule out pregnancy. if the test is positive then it was implantation and then you have to stop the potassium sparing diuretic, spironolactone. If it's negative then you are pregnancy safe and the bleed would have bene breakthrough bleed as spironolactone is androgenic and can cause decreased progesterone levels on usage during mid-cycle after ovulation.
I hope I have answered your query in detail,

Wishing you good health,