The last week or so I've noticed when I swallow

Patient

Q: The last week or so I've noticed when I swallow it feels like mucus is stuck in my throat. I was feeling around my neck and noticed right above my sternum a small rubbery feeling lump that moves around. I can't always feel it.

Doctor

Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com

A feeling of mucus in the throat could be due to two possible reasons: firstly, it could be due to a URTI, and secondly, it could be due to allergies. You have not mentioned any other symptoms consistent with URTI such as sore throat, fever, e.t.c

The small rubbery thing that you felt could be an enlarged lymph node, you need to get it physically examined by your physician to confirm the diagnosis.

As of now, I will advise you to start betadine/ saline water gargling. This will let the mucus be loose and it will start draining. Prophylactically, you can start an antibiotic like Augmentin ( Amoxicillin + Clavulanic Acid ), which is a good choice for such throat infections. The recommended adult dosage is 625 mg twice daily. Besides this, instead of Allegra, I will advise you to take Tab. Montelukast-Levocetirizine ( combination ), once at bed time. If the main cause is allergy, these drug will help in reducing the secretions inside.

Hope this was helpful,
Please feel free to discuss further,
Regards.