Thanks for your query.
The commonest reasons for swelling and pain in the left side of the throat are:
- Inflamed lymph nodes; the cause can be a focus of infection in the oral cavity.
- Thyroglossal cyst and such swellings; these are rare and have a specific history.
I would advise you the following in such a situation:
- Get an opinion of an ENT surgeon or a General Surgeon for clinical evaluation examination of the neck, oral cavity for focus of infection and have a probable diagnosis.
- If the condition is acute, you have to get a course of an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory medicines, wait and watch and see the results.
- I the condition resolves, get the treatment of the original cause.
- If the condition does not resolve, you need further investigations of blood, urine, ultrasonography, FNAC to decide the cause and plan a proper treatment.
I hope this answers your query; please feel free to ask for further.
These Q&A’s are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.