The left side of my throat hurts and it's swollen

Patient

Q: The left side of my throat hurts and it's swollen. What does that mean

Doctor

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.

The commonest reasons for swelling and pain in the left side of the throat are:
- Inflamed lymph nodes; the cause can be a focus of infection in the oral cavity.
- Thyroglossal cyst and such swellings; these are rare and have a specific history.

I would advise you the following in such a situation:
- Get an opinion of an ENT surgeon or a General Surgeon for clinical evaluation examination of the neck, oral cavity for focus of infection and have a probable diagnosis.
- If the condition is acute, you have to get a course of an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory medicines, wait and watch and see the results.
- I the condition resolves, get the treatment of the original cause.
- If the condition does not resolve, you need further investigations of blood, urine, ultrasonography, FNAC to decide the cause and plan a proper treatment.

I hope this answers your query; please feel free to ask for further.