The nurse wont test me for herpes?

Q: Hi, I went for a complete STD scan a few days ago cause I've been with my boyfriend for a year now and we were planning on stopping to use preservatives. The nurse told me she would test me for syphilis, chlamydia and gonorrhea, but not for herpes. I never had any symptoms and neither did he, but I was worried about it since I wanted to be absolutely sure I'm 100% clean and asked why exactly but she didn't really explained why and just told me it would be pricey, stressful and useless... So now I'm worried because I feel like telling my bf I'm clean after getting the results would be a lie. Is it normal she didnt do the test? Should I be worried? Also I know that my bf has had a few episodes of cold sores in his life, could i be already infected with Type1 anyway?

thanks for your help and sorry for my bad english

Symptoms:  no symptoms

A:   Thank you for your question. A normal STD panel does not usually include the testing for herpes simplex virus. Herpes is commonly tested when there is a herpetic lesion on the genitals or mouth with a swabbing of the are and sending for laboratory testing. There is a specific test which can be requested for at different laboratories which you can test to see if there is presence of the herpes immunoglobulin in your serum. You can request to have this test done through your doctor. This is the only way to determine if you have been exposed to herpes. Furthermore, cold sores are indeed caused by a herpes virus serotype however if you have not had direct skin to skin contact with him when he had an active herpes cold sore outbreak, it is a low risk that you may have it, but it is still possible. The best way to determine your exposure is to be tested for the herpes immunoglobulin antibody.

Thank you for choosing