The pill and possible migraine: Can i continue the pill?

Patient: I am currently on the combined pill microgynon 30. I’ve been on the pill since November 2010. In the last couple of weeks ive been experiencing headaches and on saturday I had what appeared to be a migraine – something ive never had before. I’m going on holiday soon and wonder if I will be ok to remain on the pill

Doctor: The oral contraceptive pill contains both estrogen and progesterone and is shown to cause an increased risk of migraines and headaches due to the progesterone content.If the headaches appear very frequently then you should change the type of pill you are taking after consultation with your  family physician. You can go on a holiday and still continue the pills as there is no imperative danger , however you may consider changing it eventually. All the best.

Was this answer helpful?

View all posts