Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > The problem: I recently went through the Cyber Knife

The problem: I recently went through the Cyber Knife

Patient: The problem: I recently went through the Cyber Knife procedure for prostate cancer, and was completely successful. The procedure ended in March 2016. My PSA is now 0.08. After the procedure, I noticed a sticky, gluey substance covering my penis. I washed thoroughly my penis and surrounding area twice every day – no luck. After washing, the sticky substance returned.Over a period of months, I assumed that it was a fungus or yeast problem. After researching, I tried a number remedies – using miconazole, clotrimazole cream, and now monistat. Nothing worked – the sticky substance continued.I am now considering the use of Neosporin cream (it could be an antibiotic cure rather then a fungus problem ?).The result of my research, it appears this condition is rare. My regular doctor (a 30-year practice) never heard of the problem. My oncology doctor never heard of it either.I am a healthy 78 year senior. I am circumcised. I received recently the results of my blood work. Everything is fine! I have had no sexual contact since months prior to the Cyber Knife procedure.Advice ?

Symptoms: The problem: I recently went through the Cyber Knife procedure for prostate cancer, and was completely successful. The procedure ended in March 2016. My PSA is now 0.08. After the procedure, I noticed a sticky, gluey substance covering my penis. I washed thoroughly my penis and surrounding area twice every day – no luck. After washing, the sticky substance returned.
Over a period of months, I assumed that it was a fungus or yeast problem. After researching, I tried a number remedies – using miconazole, clotrimazole cream, and now monistat. Nothing worked – the sticky substance continued.
I am now considering the use of Neosporin cream (it could be an antibiotic cure rather then a fungus problem ?).
The result of my research, it appears this condition is rare. My regular doctor (a 30-year practice) never heard of the problem. My oncology doctor never heard of it either.
I am a healthy 78 year senior. I am circumcised. I received recently the results of my blood work. Everything is fine! I have had no sexual contact since months prior to the Cyber Knife procedure.
Advice ?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,The fact that there is a sticky substance which covers the glans i nspite of being circumcised, the chances of smegma accumulating is ruled out and the presence of sticky substance should be fungal or exudative reaction to a possible allergic contact dermatitis. It is important that you should get a swab culture test done and then if an infection , then it can be diagnosed. Moreover if any skin lesions are evident then a local biopsy and examination under blue light would be able to diagnose a dermatitis lesion. I feel you should get a swab test and a dermatologist local examination done.The substance could be released from urethra, in cases of chlamydial infection as well but confirmation is swab culture test.I hope i have answered your query,Wishing you good health,Regards