September 23, 2018

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > The side of my knee hurts, right to the left

The side of my knee hurts, right to the left

Patient: The side of my knee hurts, right to the left of my patellar tendon and I’ve had tendonitis before there but now it’s a little to the left of that

Doctor: Welcome to Ask The Doctor.We are here to help you.You seem to be have developed acute knee sprain but you should r ule out any knee ligament injury or a repeat episode of tendinitisIn such scenario, if the knee joint movement is fine, then we initially give 5 days conservative treatment and if there is no response, then we investigate.So, you should do cold ice fomentation of the knee and apply Diclofenac ointment locally. In case of severe pain, you can take Pain killers like Diclofenac if the pain is severe and there are no contraindications for its use. Avoid sitting in squatting position and climbing stairs.If you don’t get any relief after even 5 days of therapy, then you would require to get MRI of your knee joint done, to rule out any ligament injury.Share my opinion with your doctor before acting upon it.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy