Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > There is a muscle on the top of my foot

There is a muscle on the top of my foot

Patient: There is a muscle on the top of my foot going up the curve on my ankle and on the side, which is giving me extreme pain, I have tried icing it and using a temporary relief of pain and inflammation ointment but that has been making the pain worse, I am keeping it elevated but nothing seems to be stopping the pain and walking on it is just as hard to do.I am unsure how to help the pain

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.Icing is a good start to the problem. Here are a few more things that you can add. Use R ICE to help you:Rest the ankle and do not use it too oftenIce the ankle for 15 mins every hourCompress the leg by using crepe bandage or Ankle sleeveElevate the leg by placing it on 2 pillowsAlso, take tablet Brufen to help with the pain. Hope this helps you. All the best.