Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > There is a spot on the shaft of my penis

There is a spot on the shaft of my penis

Patient: There is a spot on the shaft of my penis on the top. The best way I can describe it is hard skin. I have removed it and noticed a grove wear it was with little bleeding. It grows back after a time. I’m 18 and never had sex so it’s not an STD.

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.You have a spot on the shaft o f your penis which keeps growing back from time to time. You also mentioned you’re not sexually active and it is not a STD. Since you’re not sexually active, there is no chance of any disease of concern such as herpes or HPV, which can present with similar bumps.The only other possibility is a blocked sebaceous gland which can arise sometimes from the glans or the shaft. If there is no itching or discomfort in masturbation or intercourse, this can be safely ignored. If you try removing it, it may get infected leading to complications. So, if it’s been a cosmetic issue mostly, you can safely ignore it.Sometimes, rarely, a sebaceous cyst may arise in the shaft, and on healing it may get hard. This needs to be physically examined to confirm.I will appreciate if you can upload a picture of the spot, that will give me further insight into your problem.Hope this was helpful,Feel free to discuss further,Regards.

Patient: How would you prefer me to send the picture?

Doctor: Kindly contact the support team, they will help you in sharing the picture.
Also, I will advise you apply Mupirocin ointment since there was recent bleeding. Prophylactically it will prevent infection.
Regards.