There is numbness and tingling sensation in my left thumb, what is the cause?

Patient

Q: I have a numbing sensation on the left half of my thumb. I have never felt or had this before. What might be causing it?

Doctor

A:   Usually the numbing sensation of the thumb is a normal phenomenon and will go off on its own. Though in certain cases it may be due to irritation of the nerve root supplying the area. The sensation to thumb is supplied by the radial nerve and sometimes an irritation may cause numbness or tingling sensation in the area. If the symptoms do not subside within the next 2 week, see your doctor to rule out any nerve compression syndromes.