Think I may be pregnant

Patient

Q: Think I may be pregnant after a year of having a c-section/tubal. No cycle Jan. Spotted Feb. 12. Stopped spotting this Mon. With really bad back pain and slight dizziness.

Doctor

A:   Hi. Welcome to ATD. Thanks for the query.

An unprotected intercourse results in pregnancy only when a woman is in her so called "Fertile Period". The fertile period of a woman is determined by analyzing her menstrual cycle with an ovulation calculator or fertility chart. Normally, the menstrual cycle is a 28 day cycle. During the 14th day after a period, the ovum is released. This process is called ovulation and the days 12 to 16 days after a period are said to be a woman’s most fertile period. Ovulation may not occur at a predictable time in the menstrual cycle, however. A number of factors may cause an unexpectedly early or late ovulation, even for women with a history of regular menstrual cycles. Lactation or breastfeeding is known to alter bleeding patterns.

A pregnancy test attempts to determine whether a woman is pregnant. Markers that indicate pregnancy are found in urine and blood, and pregnancy tests require sampling one of these substances. Most chemical tests for pregnancy look for the presence of the beta subunit of hCG, or human chorionic gonadotropin, in the blood or urine. hCG can be detected in urine or blood after implantation, which occurs six to twelve days after fertilization.
Please get a Pregnancy test if you are in doubt and visit a doctor.

Hope this helps.