Think my son swallowed tablets help?

Patient : Ive just discovered my son has climbed on to the kitchen side and has my hydroxychloroquine tablets and i think he may have swallowed 2? what do i do?
Doctor :   I realize how worried you are about hydroxychloroquine taken by your son. This medication is used to prevent and treat M alaria, also in Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis. Children can be especially sensitive to an overdose, 2 pills might be enough to cause serious consequences. However this would depend on his weigh, more than 10mg/Kg can be enough to cause some complications. I would suggest you to consider this a potential toxic dose and watch for signs of alert such as irritation which could be shown as intense crying, abdominal pain and vomits. He would need to be observed by a health care provider for 4-6 hours.

Related Q&A

Q: I have been diagnosed with adonecarcinoma around the celiac arteries. This cancer usually comes from the pancreas, bu...

Q: I have a grade 1 meniscus tear. I had a MRI to confirm this. I've been resting it for a wk with ice/ compression/ ela...

Q: Last couple days my urine smells of ammonia and struggle sometimes to wee I am a male 61 years old do manual work con...

Q: I threw up 4 days ago vety violently at one point andsince thent I had chest pain and a bit of rib pain but that has ...

Q: My left side arms have been hurting for a while now. Usually it would come and go for a few days. It feels more like ...

 
DOCTOR ADVISORY BOARD
218

Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician
173

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician
138

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist
98

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon
CNN
BBC
MSNBC
CBS
abcNews
FoxNews