Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Thinking maybe I going through menopause

Thinking maybe I going through menopause

Patient: I’m 51 hadn’t a period in 2 years and 3 days ago it started like a normal period very heavy ( my breast have been sore for about 4 weeks.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.You seemed to have attained menopause 2 years back. The bleeding now is post-menopausal bleeding, this warrants an evaluation to rule out causes like endometrial hyperplasia or a uterine cancer and other hormonal changes.Kindly see a Gynecologist and get an examination done. An ultrasound and a pap smear may be needed for a diagnosis and treatment will be started accordingly. A fractional curettage a day care- a surgical procedure may be needed as well.Hope this helped.Regards