This is the result of my MRI scan What does

Patient

Q: This is the result of my MRI scan. What does it mean? What illness am I looking at having? I am 31 years old.

MR WHOLE SPINE

All of the cervical discs are dehydrated. Minor disc bulges seen at C3/4, C4/5, C5/6 and C6/7. The C5/6 and C6/7 discs also narrowed and there are associated marginal osteophytes. At C5/6, in addition to the generelized bulge, there is a small central disc prolapse. This is not causing any neural compression, however, at C6/7 there is a central and right paracentral disc prolapse, in contact with the anterior aspect of the spinal cord. There is no cord compression, however, there is slight narrowing of the left C7 nerve root exit foramen.

No significant disc prolapse seen in the thoracic region.

Minor generalized disc bulges are seen at all lumbar disc levels and there is also some mild facet hypertrophy. At L5/S1 there is grade 1 spondylolisthesis of L5 on S1, with bilateral pars interarticularis defects. The disc is narrowed and dehydrated with a generalized disc bulge present. There is an annular tear posteriorly. A mixture of fatty and inflammatory endplate change is seen in the adjacent verterbral bodies. There is some narrowing of the L5 nerve root exit foramina bilaterally. On the right there is no nerve root compression. On the left, however, there is some compression of the L5 nerve root within its exit foramen.

Normal appearance of the craniocervical juntion. The cord finishes at the L1 level. Apart from the endplate changes already described, normal marrow signal throughout the spine.

Conclusion. Grade 1 spondylolisthesis at L5/S1 with degenerative disc and an annular tear. There is compression of the left L5 nerve root within its exit foramen. Degenerative change in the cervical spine, particularly at C5/C6 and C6/7.

Symptoms:  Pain in lower back when I cough, constant neck pain. Feel like I am moving when car has stopped. Urine retention. Aching all day, lower back pain. Leg pain down leg into knees (Sciatica). Weak wrists, weak arms, they ache all the time. weak legs. Walk funny, like a waddle. Scream out in pain sometimes its like a severe shooting pain in lower back to the left. Hips always feel bad and sore.
Doctor

A:   Hello
Thank you for posting your query on ATD.

I have gone through your query and understand your concern. You have degenerative disc disease ( age related) involving whole spine and mild disc prolapse at multiple levels. which is causing sciatica( by compression of L5 nerve root.There is also spondylolisthesis of L5 over S1( mild shifting of L5 vertebra as compared to S1) Treatment of it is rest, glucosamine and Mecobalamin. Later physiotherapy will be helpful. Analgesics such as ibuprofen is helpful in pain relief. Hope your query get answered.

Wishing you a good health.
Take care.

Patient: Age related? I am 31 years old. So there is no arthritis in my spine, as the GP told me?
Doctor: Your spine shows degenerative changes such as marginal osteophytes in cervical spine and facet hypertrophy in lumbar spine. These are degenerative changes. These occur with wear and tear with passage of time( what I mean age related). Looking to your age degenerative changes occurred early. You have arthritis ( facet hypertrophy) which is degenerative ( occurs with passage of time)in nature , but looking to your age it affected you early. There is also spondylolisthesis of L5 over S1( mild shifting of L5 vertebra as compared to S1) with pars Interarticular defect( these defects are present since birth but shows there effect later in life).Rest already discussed.
Patient: Thank you. but what kind of arhtritis? Osteoarhtritis?
Doctor: I think degenerative arthritis ( osteoarthritis) .
Patient: Thanks :) Have a nice day
Doctor: Thanks. Wishing you a good health.