Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > This question is about the flu.

This question is about the flu.

Patient: My husband and I are recovering from the flu. We have been fever free for at least 48-72 hours. However we are both coughing with phelgm production due to sinus drainage. Are we still contagious?

Symptoms: Cough with phelgm.

Doctor: Thank you for question. Yes, even though your symptoms are improving, the flu virus may still be present in your system within this time frame. We recommend that you take the necessary precautions to prevent this from spreading my washing your hands frequently, and avoiding contact with individuals that are infants, elderly or immunocomrpomised (weakened immune systems) for another 48 hours. Please be guided accordingly.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com