Thoracic aneurysym of 4mm

Patient

Q: I was recently diagnosed with a 4mm thoracic aneurysym, should i be concerned?

Doctor

A:   A thoracic aortic aneurysm is an abnormal enlargement of a portion of the aorta, the major artery in the body which takes blood from the heart to the remainder of the body. Large aneurysms are a concern because of the risk of rupture and subsequent death. Your aneurysm is only 4mm, which is quite small. However, you will need to have it monitored for increasing size as well as any symptoms. If you smoke, have high blood pressure or do not exercise you will need to modify these conditions to reduce the risk of rupture and the rate of growth of the aneurysm.