Three days late catheter causing lots of pain in my side

Patient

Q: Does a catherter hurt after being inserted to release urine in men - there is a blockage which is why catheter is meeded - getting terrible pain in kidney area

Doctor

A:   Urinary catheters do not usually cause any pain while in place. Discomfort may occur if you have developed a urinary tract infection (UTI). Along with the pain other symptoms may be present including 'cloudy' , foul-smelling urine. A UTI is the most likely cause of your pain. You should see your doctor so that he/she may prescribe a course of appropriate antibiotics.