Thank you for contacting ask the doctor. You may be suffering from a soar throat which may present with a burning scratchy sensation. Sore throat has many causes.
1. If accompanied by a high fever (101) , it may be caused by a bacterial infection and may require antibiotics for treatment.
2. If accompanied by a running nose and itchy watering eyes, it could be post nasal drip due to allergies. Treatment would be avoiding the allergen and taking anti-histamins, anticholinergics, mast cell inhibitors, steroid nasal sprays etc.
3. If associated with flu like symptoms (fatigue, weakness etc), it could be a result of the infectious mononucleosis and may require essential symptomatic treatment. In severe cases may require steroids.
4. Accompanied with difficulty swallowing and breathing may be due to an inflamed Epiglottis and needs urgent medical attention.
5. If your sore throat is associated with pain through the ear , it could be a sign of other serious conditions.
Hope this information was useful.
These Q&A’s are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.