Throat Infection in regards to toddlers

Patient : Hi. I have a 2 year old that is being treated for throat infection, she has been on antibiotics for almost a week but in this time she has developed a harsh wet cough. At times she'll cough to the point where she is gagging and trying to bring up the mucous but to no avail. Would this be a typical cough as a sign that the body is relieving itself of the infection? Or would it be something else?
Symptoms:  Chesty, wet cough, coughing fits, tries to talk but ends up coughing, runny nose, fatigued