Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Throbbing pain in abdomen

Throbbing pain in abdomen

Patient: Im having abdominal pain it feels like throbbing in my ovaries or utures the pain wont go away. I was diagnosed with an abnormal pap smear in 2013.

Symptoms: Abdominal pain

Doctor: There are various follow-up regimes prescribed to women with an abnormal Pap smear. Mostly if its a low grade lesion or if only a few abnormal cells are seen then a repeat cytology is advised after a year. If the lesion appears suspicious then usually a colposcopy with or without a biopsy is usually recommended immediately.Pain in lower abdomen does not necessarily originate from the ovaries or the uterus though it could be related to these organs. An abnormal Pap smear (cervical lesion) alongwith chronic abdominal pain could be a result of cervical erosion, chronic cervicitis etc. The two may not be even related. In any case, what you need to do is get yourself properly evaluated as conjectures are not going to make your symptoms go away. Using a pain killer/ analgesic will only give temporary relief and the right way to go about this is getting the diagnosis established right away.