Thumb pain and bruising after recent injury

Q: I hurt my thumb a week ago. I think I bent it back, but I'm not sure. All I know is that it was very painful. Over the next few days the surrounding area went black and there was some swelling, although that's now gone down. The bruising is now starting to subside a little, but it still hurts quite a lot. I can move it OK, although it's painful. It hurts if I try and pick something up, like a glass, and I can't hold a pen to write. There's also a dull ache there all the time, even if I'm not moving it. I'm not sure whether I should leave it, or whether I should go to the doctor and get it checked out.

Symptoms:  Thumb pain on movement, particularly when holding, lifting objects, holding a pen etc.
Bruising on the palm and on the outside of the thumb
Tender to touch around thumb joint
Aching of the thumb and surrounding area