Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Thumb slammed in car door, possibly broken

Thumb slammed in car door, possibly broken

Patient: I smashed my thumb in car door 3 days ago, and went to ER because I was sure it was broken. The doctor took x-Rays and said there were irregularities, but because my thumb was so swollen that he couldn’t tell if it was broken. He put a splint on it and said to get it checked in 2 weeks. My question is, my thumb is numb, I can’t move it at all, and it’s completely bruised and still swollen. I feel like the splint isn’t doing its job. Should I go get a second opinion, or wait 2 weeks?

Symptoms: Swollen thumb, possibly broken, numbness, bruised

Thumb slammed in car door, ...-1 Thumb slammed in car door, ...-1 Thumb slammed in car door, ...-1

Doctor: Thank you for your question. We do not recommend that you wait two weeks. The numbness in your thumb could possibly be c aused by fractured bones impinging the nerve supplying the thumb. We recommend that you promptly return to have the thumb reevaluated with by a doctor. You may need to have another x ray of the thumb to determine if there are any fractures. Please seek medical attention immediately.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com