Thumb slammed in car door, possibly broken

Q: I smashed my thumb in car door 3 days ago, and went to ER because I was sure it was broken. The doctor took x-Rays and said there were irregularities, but because my thumb was so swollen that he couldn't tell if it was broken. He put a splint on it and said to get it checked in 2 weeks. My question is, my thumb is numb, I can't move it at all, and it's completely bruised and still swollen. I feel like the splint isn't doing its job. Should I go get a second opinion, or wait 2 weeks?

Symptoms:  Swollen thumb, possibly broken, numbness, bruised
Thumb slammed in car door, ...-1 Thumb slammed in car door, ...-2 Thumb slammed in car door, ...-3

A:   Thank you for your question. We do not recommend that you wait two weeks. The numbness in your thumb could possibly be caused by fractured bones impinging the nerve supplying the thumb. We recommend that you promptly return to have the thumb reevaluated with by a doctor. You may need to have another x ray of the thumb to determine if there are any fractures. Please seek medical attention immediately.

Thank you for consulting