Thyroid levels and pregnancy

Patient: I recently had blood work done and everything was normal except my thyroid level. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for 2 years. Could my thyroid levels cause me problems getting pregnant?

Doctor: Problems with thyroid can affect a women’s menstrual periods. Hypothyroidism can cause a variety of problems such as irr egular periods, heavy bleeds or loss of periods. When hypothyroidism is severe, it can reduce a woman’s chances of becoming pregnant. In women who are not pregnant, hyperthyroidism can affect menstrual periods too and also make it harder for conception. The rick of miscarriage is also higher due to hyperthyroidism. Fortunately, there are effective treatments available and chances of conception is markedly raised after correction of the problem. I hope this answers your question, take care.