Tibial Plafond Fracture

Patient : What is the best case and worse case scenario for a tibial plafond fracture? What is the best case scenario for healing and recovery time for such an injury?
Doctor :    There are several factors that must be considered when estimating the likely recovery for such fractures. A key factor is the need for surgical repair as this indicates the severity of the fracture. If surgical repair is required, the recovery time could be longer than when a simple cast is used. Generally, fractures of the leg take approximately 12 weeks to heal. Physical therapy may be required after the fracture has completely healed to regain strength in the limb. You should also bare in mind that tibial plafond fractures involve the ankle joint. This increases the likelihood of developing ostheoarthritis in this joint later on in life.