Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Tietze’s syndrome

Tietze’s syndrome

Patient: How do you treat the pain of tieze’s syndrome i have had it for 5 years and all the doctors give me is pain killers and my body has got that proned to taking them they dont work no more???

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Tietze’s syndrome is a condition involving painful swelling of the costal cartilage, especi ally in the areas where the ribs attach to the sternum. This pain can be so severe that it can be mistaken for a heart attack. It is possible that you may require a stronger long acting analgesic medication to reduce the inflammation and pain. Since oral analgesic medications are losing there efficacy at treating your pain, you may benefit from corticosteroid injections directly into the affected areas. This can provide longer lasting pain relief. Please follow up with your doctor to determine if this option is best for you.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com