November 17, 2018

“Tight” Throat with Thyroids.

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > “Tight” Throat with Thyroids.

Patient: I have Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis and even though my levels are within normal range, I sometimes still feel as though there’s a lump in my throat, accompanied with troubled swallowing. My thyroid does not appear to be enlarged with the naked eye, nor feel enlarged when I palpate it. Any suggestions?

Symptoms: Trouble swallowing, uncomfortable tightness in throat

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskThedoctor.comI understand your concern.In Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, there are three different ways it can manifest. The patient can be in either in hypothyroid/ hyperthyroid state or can be completely normal ( euthyroid ). Since you’re feeling a lump it is better to get an ultrasound of the thyroid done to check for nodules. In euthyroid cases, there will be thyroid nodules in the inactive stage and it can cause the swelling.One other possibility that needs to be ruled out is GORD, where due to acid reflux, there is trouble swallowing. So if the ultrasound shows normal thyroid morphology, you can meet your physician and get an endoscopy done. This will give a conclusive report.Also, you need to get your thyroid values evaluated every 6 months to make sure the hormonal levels are fine.Hope this was helpful,Regards.

Was this answer helpful?
Yes
No