Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Time frame for surgery for a broken knuckle

Time frame for surgery for a broken knuckle

Patient: I was looking for say ‘Broken Bones’ category if that is a good suggestion for one but here let me start: At the beginning of January I broke my knuckle, now I do know that it is broken because it is well . . . ‘Off center’ and it is squishy when making a fist. I have a doctors appointment in two and a half weeks, however I am wondering if it has been too long? I know surgery is most likely but I am wondering it has been too long for that? I would really like to not be stuck with this, thanks.

Doctor: It is quite likely that your fracture has already healed! However this will not prevent your surgeon from correcting any deformity that exist. Whether or not surgery is required will be determined by your surgeon after he has examined you. There is also the possibility that you have dislocated the joint. If so, no surgery will be required. A simple maneuver performed by your doctor will fix the deformity.