x
190 Physicians Online

Question:

Tingling in the Toes of One Foot

I am only 27 years old. For the past week or two I wake up with tingling in 2 of my toes on my right foot. What could be the problem? The tingling seems to be spreading every morning instead of getting better. It normally lasts for 5 minutes or so. I havent slept any different so I don't know what it could be or if I should even be worried.

Answer:

Tingling in one part of the body is a common symptom of nerve impingement or injury when not associated with any other symptoms.  When tingling occurs in many parts of the body, both sides of the body or reappears and disappears with time - it can be a symptoms of nutritional deficiency, metabolic disease, infections or a neurological process.  A visit to your doctor will allow him or her to determine if the source of nerve damage is local (near the sight of injury) or central (spinal cord or brain) and advise appropriate treatment.  In my practice, for tingling in one part of the body and not rapidly spreading, I often advise observation and exercise - the majority of cases resolve on their own once the muscles surrounding the nerve are properly strengthened and stretched.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA