Tiny Black Specks in Urine

Patient : Having UTI symptoms for two days, and when I just urinated there were a ton of little black specks in the toilet and on the paper. Not sure what this could be?
Symptoms:  Lower back pain, burning, cramping, nausea, loss of sleep.
Doctor :   Hello, Thanks for contacting askthedoctor.com for an opinion. You could be passing gravel. Gravel are small stones usually formed from the precipitation of calcium in the urine. If it persists you should have a kidney stone workup. It is possible you could have larger kidney stones. If you can catch some of these specs it would be helpful. These can be analyzed for calcium or uric acid and it would help in the diagnosis and subsequent treatment. This would explain your symptom of passing tiny black specks in the urine. Secondly these could be either clotted blood specks passed during urine. So it is important that you undergo a urine routine microscopy and culture to evaluate the causative organism and if need be x-ray KUB or IVP to ascertain kidney stones and if the bleeding is from bladder then a cystoscopy can be considered. So, please visit your physician for a detailed examination and evaluation. In the meantime increase your water intake to 5-6 liters a day so that it would help flush the infection sooner. If you continue to see the black specks after 10 days, please see a Doctor. All the best. I hope I have answered your query in detail, Wishing you good health, Regards