Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Today is Wednesday an I woke up with a fever

Today is Wednesday an I woke up with a fever

Patient: Today is Wednesday an I woke up wit a fever and I’m worried that it might be early signs of hiv. I had unprotected sex Saturday night witch is about 3-4 days ago wit a stranger and know I’m freaking out thinking that I might gotten infected !

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Fever can develop due to many causes.After unprotected i ntercourse, any bacterial or viral infection can lead to fever.Though early symptoms of HIV can be seen within 2 to 4 weeks of exposure, just by symptoms we cannot come to one conclusion regarding the HIV transmission.By clinical examination and investigations like estimating the CD4 count and viral load in the body, one conclusion can be drawn regarding the infection.So, please consult your doctor and get evaluated.Take care