Toddler Not Eating At Mealtime

Q: My 2 year old granddaughter does not eat at mealtime. This has been going on for over 6 months. She eats at her daycare facility, but will not eat at home, or at our house, or at a restaurant. We have tried everything and nothing helps. Her mother gives her vitamins. Is there something that will enhance her appetite?

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

Does you granddaughter not eat at all or does she eat less? You should not compare the amount of food eaten by a child according to their size. Children are not always able to eat as much. Also, most children eat better when in a group rather than when alone. You can encourage her to eat at the same time as when the family eats.

These should encourage her to eat. Another way to assess if she is getting enough food or not is to check her height with a growth chart. The growth chart if shows her below the 50th percentile line, then you need to be concerned. If this is not the case, then do not worry.

If the problem continues, talk to her Doctor and discuss the issues you have. Hope this helps you.