Toddler with ear infection refuses to take amoxicillin

Patient

Q: We have a 25 month old child who was diagnosed with an ear infection and was perscribed amoxillin, we are having trouble administrating him his dosage. We tried forcing it by holding his nose but the amount is too much (11ml),we tried mixing it with his yogurt,milk,juices but he seems to realize it and refuses to take it. he has no apetite and it makes hard for us to mixed with his food. Are there any other alternatives if not what do we have to do. Thank you.

Doctor

A:   Kids are known for a hard time when it comes to medicines. It seems that you have already tried many of the common options to make your child swallow his medicine. A few other options include, getting your pharmacy to flavour your child’s medicine to his favourite taste, mixing it just a small amount of chocolate milk, pudding or his favourite food. If these tricks do not seem to work either, you may discuss other options with his doctor, who may prescribe a better-tasting antibiotic made by a different company or may consider intravenous administration of the medicine, depending on the severity of his symptoms and disease condition.