Toe nail fungus: Further management

Q: My big toe has a nail fungus. Over the counter medicine help a little but there is just a little pain. Should I cut off the dead nail? Will it grow back? And should I go the my primary doctor?

A:   Since over the counter medication has not helped I would best advice you to see you primary care physician as he/she can prescribe antifungal medication either oral or topical and if the nail needs to be cut off then this needs to be done in a sterile and clean environment with sterile instruments otherwise you risk further infection. If treated properly the fungal infection will reduce and the nail will have a potential to grow back. All the best.