Toe Numbness after Ice Skating

Patient

Q: My girlfriend and I went ice skating this past Saturday and a few hours later she noticed her big toe was numb (left foot). Now, 3 days later, it's still numb. She does have plantar fasciitis but doesn't think it's related. Any ideas?

Symptoms:  Numbness
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. The numbness she is experiencing may directly be related to skating and exacerbation of her plantar fasciitis. This could have compressed sensory nerves supplying the toe, leading to numbness. Since it has been three days without improvement, we recommend that she immediately go to her doctor to be evaluated. Failure to do so can lead to permanent loss of function, and numbness of the toe.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com