Toes swollen red with severe itch!

Patient

Q: My toes have a severe itch, started about 2 months, they swell up and are red. I can still bend them but they feel different then before. The toes are sensitive and if i hit them when i walk against furniture they hurt 10 times more then normal. I notice small scab/mark on the bottom of a few toes. NOT ATHELETS FOOT

Symptoms:  A few toes swollen on both feet (same toes), red, and has a severe itch. Worse at night when I try to sleep. My feet seem fine, just my toes are experiencing this pain
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible the swelling and itching in your feet could be due bacterial infection rather than a fungal infection such as athletes foot. This would also account for the associated pain which you are experiencing as well. We recommend that you see medical evaluation of this immediately as this possible bacterial infection could spread throughout your legs which could increase the difficulty to treat it. Your doctor will examine both feet and prescribe you antibiotics if necessary.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com