Tonsil problems (strep?) for over a month

Q: Okay, so I have had some sort of tonsil problem for over a month. I am a college student who came home from fall finals with this. My left tonsil was MASSIVE, taking up over half of my throat, but the right was normal-sized. My throat was red and covered with white spots. There was unilateral swelling but it was bilaterally red and spotted with white. I went to a clinic and was diagnosed with strep. (They said it was mildly positive, but my throat was severe) They prescribed augmentin and I finished the course and was feeling much better. The day after I finished my antibiotics, my throat hurt again. I went back to the same clinic, and had another positive strep test, and was prescribed augmentin again. I have IBS so by the end of my second round of augmentin I was having horrible stomach problems and was feeling almost more horrible than when my throat hurt. I went to a different clinic when I started feeling badly again (four days later this time) and they prescribed me cephalexin. I was still having digestive issues after five days (I had returned to college) so my mother got me a new PCP and he wanted to see me immediately. I left college and drove home (it's a two hour drive) and saw this new doctor, and he referred me to an ENT and told me that my stomach problems were the result of 20 days of augmentin. I saw the ENT the next day and he told me that it was an abscess that had cleared up and I just had the residual swelling left and that I could stop taking the antibiotics (which I was thrilled to hear, as they were giving me severe stomach pain). I saw him Thursday, and today is Sunday, and my throat is in moderate pain and white spots are coming back. He said never has he seen someone who cannot get off of antibiotics due to strep but that certainly looks to be my case! I was wondering if anyone else has been through this or has any idea what this might be. I'm going to call the ENT again tomorrow and see if I can see him again. We have disinfected EVERYTHING in the house each time after I was diagnosed, so I don't know what it could be that's reinfecting me, or why I keep coming down with it again so soon. The ENT said we might consider a tonsillectomy if this becomes a recurring problem but I have to be strep free for two weeks after antibiotics and at this point I am having doubt that this will ever happen or that I will EVER get back to school.

Symptoms:  Sore throat, unilateral large tonsil, bilateral white spots