x
88 Physicians Online

Question:

Tonsilitus

Dear Doctor, I got sore throat Sunday last, took throat sweeets and ibuprofen but it got worse, saw Doc on Weds was given Amoxicillin to take for a week, this got worse still until I can't open my mouth to get any food in and I can't swallow hardly at all. I also have ear ache and a sore head. I went back this Mon and was given Erythromycin to take for 2 days to see if this impoves. I am still no better and I feel worse each minute as drinking has now come almost impossible. I feel weak and can't talk at all. As I can't open my mouth wider than to get a finger in the Doc says she can't see what is wrong with me. Is it tonsilliatus, if so why has it not cleared up in a week (like it did 4 months ago with me)? I am very worried and upset and am considering going to hospital today? Can you advise or help in any way? Much appreciated

Answer:

I understand your concern about your persistent throat infection. Certainly you have been well covered for the most common entities that cause Pharingitis without positive results.
I would suggest you to have throat swab culture to identify and treat the pathogen that is causing your Tonsillitis. I wish you a prompt recovery.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.