Too many white cells in urine?

Patient

Q: To who it may concern im a 59 year old woman i have renal reflux kidney diease and heart diease i went to my kidney doctor for my check and he ordered some test a bloos test and a urine test i was told to ave another urine test which i did and was told i have to many white cells what does this mean im still waiting to here about this test and what happens next thank you

Doctor

A:   The presence of white blood cells in the urine indicate a urinary tract infection by bacteria. The most appropriate next step is to culture the urine and take appropriate antibiotics. Also since you have a previous history of renal reflux disease, an ultrasound or IVP may be required to rule out pyelonephritis.