Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Too much screens?

Too much screens?

Patient: I’m 14, and for the past year or so I have been watching 2-3 hours of screens per day, and I get to bed at 10:00 and watch YouTube until 12-3, and wake up at 7. I get plenty of physical activity, I’m fit, and I play guitar and I’m pretty smart. Am I damaging my brain/health? If I am is it too late?

Symptoms: Tired but I get why

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Excessive staring at a computer screen for several hours a day can causes headaches, eye st rain, and disturb sleep. We recommend that you take breaks between your time in front of your computer. Try taking a 10 minute break every hour or so. There are no conclusive studies on the damaging effects of excessive time in front of the computer screen however, if you are disturbing your sleep, then this can actually have an effect on learning, cognition, and memory. If you take regular breaks, you can help prevent this.Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com