Took active birth control pill mid period

Q: I started my period three days ago. Today, I took one of my active pills out of habit. If I don't want to be on my period on Saturday, should I keep taking my active pills or stop in case my period stretches out instead of stopping?

A:   Thank you for your query.
Since you have already started taking the active pills continue taking it and the bleeding should stop in 2-3 days past the starting of the pill. But generally it is always recommended to use the active pills from day 5 to day 25 of the menstrual cycle to time the period say around day 28 to 30 days periodicity and to prevent an unwanted pregnancy. If you don’t want the period to occur in between you should start the next strip of active pills without giving a break after completion of the active pills in the strip.
Hope that answers your query. Have a good day.