Took Ultrasound but nothing there but preg test positive

Q: My girlfriend is estimated at 5 weeks pregnant because of her last period. We really think she is only 2 weeks. We went in for an ultrasound and the gynecologist couldn't find anything. We have taken 5 test including one at the gynecologist and all came out positive. HE wouldn't give us the abortion pill because he couldn't see anything. Why couldn't he just give it? And what does it mean?

A:   Hi,

Though the conception occurs around the period of ovulation, usually gestational age is calculated from the
first day of last menstrual period, which occurs usually around 2 weeks before ovulation in case of regular 28 to 30 days menstrual cycles.
Ultrasound can detect the gestational sac usually after five completed weeks of gestation.
So, better to wait for one or two weeks, possibly by that time ultrasound can detect the gestational sac and further management can be planned accordingly.
Tablets for abortion should be used only after confirming the pregnancy in ultrasound.
Because ultrasound is a must to confirm the intrauterine pregnancy, to estimate the gestational age and to rule out ectopic pregnancy.

Hope this helps.
Take care.