Took wrong birth control pill on wrong day.

Patient: I am on Aviane and I just started recently, I’m on my third week and I take my pills when I wake up in the morning and it’s usually dark and I’m really tired. I accidentally took my friday pill rather than my Monday pill for some weird reason, and now it’s Tuesday and I just took the Monday one and I’m very scared as of what I should do!

Doctor: Birth control pills protect from unwanted pregnancy only when take in recommended cycles, regularly, and under expert me dical supervision. Irregular use may predispose one to an unwanted pregnancy, if intercourse occurs in one’s fertile period (time around ovulation).The fertile period of a woman who is not on pills is determined by analyzing her menstrual cycle with an ovulation calculator or fertility chart. Normally, the menstrual cycle is a 28 day cycle. During the 14th day after a period, the ovum is released. This process is called ovulation and the days 12 to 16 days after a period are said to be a woman’s most fertile period. Pills prevent ovulation and thus averts pregnancy.The type of pill that you mentioned is a combined hormonal pill. The day marking is done on these kind of pills is for the user’s convenience and all pills in the pack should have similar chemical composition and strength. Please consult your treating physician for confirmation, to inform about the deviation of pill-schedule and to seek further advice.