Tooth abscess and coimplications

Patient

Q: Hello, I have a problem that started about 2 months ago , I had a tooth abscess and I started taking antibiotics and augmentine (1000 mg) twice a day . The tooth abscess calmed for about 10 days so I stopped taking augmentine and then when it came back I got back on medicine 500 mg twice a day . So overall I took about 55000 mg augmentine in 2 months . Now im experiencing a mild headache that stays all day long and increases with movement . It's not a severe headache and I barely feel it during the day but it brings discomfort with movement . I cannot keep my balance for too long if I'm standing in one place for 5 to 10 mins. The doctor asked me to take augmentine for 4 more days which ends tomorrow . The headache happens day in day out and it only began 5 days ago . And the abscess is still there . Thank you for your time I hope that you can help me

Doctor

Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com

Firstly, the abscess should have settled by now, so the augmentin mostly did not work.
The headache could be due to vascular migraine or could also be due to side effects of the antibiotic which includes gastric upset, nausea, headache, e.t.c

I will advise you to talk to your physician and ask him whether continuing Augmentin makes sense as the abscess is not responding to it. In such cases, Tab. Cefotaxime 200 mg twice daily will be a better option for 7-10 days. Regarding the headache, you can take Tab. Advil 400 mg twice daily for 3-5 days till the headache subsides.

Hope this was helpful,