Tooth ache while laying down

Patient : I have 4 teethe that have root exposure and need to be pulled. It only hurts when i lay down at night when i go to bed. doesnt hurt whil i am standing up. Why is this and what can i do to help ease the pain? thanks
Doctor :   During the initial phase, the nerve roots and blood vessels of the tooth are exposed causing pain on exposure to hot or cold. As the decay of the teeth progresses the pulp of the tooth is involved and causes severe, throbbing pain and can be aggravated on lying down. The only way to permanently relieve the pain is by  tooth extraction or root canal treatment.