Torn clit hood

Patient

Q: Hello,

While my boyfriend was fingering me, I think he might have cut my clit hood. There is a small tear between the clit and the urethra and I can see a pink fleshy layer underneath. There is no pain or itching and it has been over 24 hours. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to make it heal faster, anything I should avoid and if I would have to go to the doctor?

Thank you

Symptoms:  None
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is likely that this mild laceration will heal on its own without any complication. To facilitate the healing process, avoid sexual contact for about 5 to 10 days. Furthermore, after urination, please make an effort to clean and dry the area in order to prevent infection. The same goes for after showering. If these are followed, and you do not experience any pain, burning, or increased redness, you are likely to make a full recovery.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com