Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Torn Middle Knuckle on upper side of hand on Index Finger

Torn Middle Knuckle on upper side of hand on Index Finger

Patient: I had a piece of glass clip my middle knuckle on Index finger 2 hours ago. The cut itself is not very wide, but it tore the flesh completely off, so it is a hole pretty much. I have sterilized it and wrapped it, but when I removed the bandage to take a peek 20 minutes ago it started to bleed a fair amount again. I have had numerous hand and knuckle cuts in the past, but there was skin I could press shut. Should I be worried and seek medical attention, or will the wound eventually stop bleeding? It is on the top side, not underside. Thank you for your time, it is much appreciated.

Symptoms: Bleeding and Pulsing

Doctor: Thank you for your question. If after 20 minutes the bleeding has not stopped it may be that this wound requires medical treatment by a doctor. It may need to be sutured or cauterized to stop this bleeding and to facilitate the healing process in a more timely manner. Please go to your nearest urgent care center to undergo treatment.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com