Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Torn muscle? Pain under left breast after bicycle crash.

Torn muscle? Pain under left breast after bicycle crash.

Patient: Could I have torn a muscle or something? How do a fix this and get back on my bike. I have an important race coming up!

Symptoms: I am a 47 year old female. I was in a bicycle accident during a race a week ago. During a turn, the back wheel fishtailed throwing me to the ground. I hit my left chest hard on the pavement. I have no bruising or noticeable swelling. After a week of pain under my left breast I went to urgent care for X-Rays to rule out any broken bones. They had to take the x-ray through my back because the breast tissue did not allow for a good image. I was told no broken bones and was probably just some bruised ribs and stressed cartilage at the sternum. Another couple of days has gone by and still no relief. The pain is a generalized pain under my left breast. I feel like something is messed up under there. When I push on the area, I cannot find the spot, but I feel pain which when I engage my chest muscles is severe (i.e. blow nose, lift myself out of bed, etc.)

Doctor: Thank you for your question. The description of your symptoms are consistent with a severe muscles contusion of your che st and breast tissue. This can take several weeks to fully heal depending on the severity of the injury. It is a positive sign that you did not sustain any fractures as this can take longer to recover from. We recommend that you apply ice to the painful area to reduce swelling and prior to your race, have your doctor perform a thorough examination in order to medically clear you for the race.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com