Toxoplasmosis at 6 weeks of pregnancy.

Q: To whom it may concern I have been diagnosed positive with Toxoplasmosis. I am about 6 weeks pregnant. My results were IgG 151 UI per ml IgM 3.88 index IE How likely is it that I will pass this to the baby and what are the chances the baby will be negatively affected?

A:   This is an infection caused by a parasite that may cause flu-like symptoms. If you have active toxoplasmosis, treatment can greatly reduce the risk to your baby.
However if you've already had toxoplasmosis before becoming pregnant, you generally can't pass the infection to your baby. I would suggest you to follow your pregnancy, comply with your pre natal consults and if your physician determines that you have an active infection. I think he would suggest you to take an antibiotic called Spyramicin; this would reduce the chances of transmitting the infection to your baby and won’t harm him or your pregnancy. I wish you the best.